Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Oakham Skatepark Update

Oakham Skatepark Update

I was going to wait a  few weeks before blogging this update, I have now decided that may only assist a cover up.

In the summer Oakham Town Councils Clerk Richard White told Councillors the skatepark required emergency repairs.

He authorised the spending claiming he was using his emergency powers. This came about after Councillors turned down a quote for work on the skatepark because the quote was poorly presented and was costly £5,000+

Despite the Clerk stating the work was an emergency. Work did not start immediately a few weeks passed.

Once the work was started it soon stopped.

The contractor approached the council and asked for payment £2000 for material used.

At the last full council meeting I raised the issue, after the meeting I inspected the invoice. I can not see how £2,000 of materials have been used or will be used.

Even the most expensive Skatelite special top boards don't even cost that much.

I spoke to the Town Clerk last week to find out if the work was going to be completed.

The Clerk said he was pleased he was away sick when the payment was approved. Surprisingly he also said he would have questioned the invoice.

I have not been able to find out who authorised this payment. The cheque would have been signed by two councillors who clearly appear not to ask any questions when they sign away public money.

I wonder if the skatepark work will be completed this year, the Clerk said he would chase the contractor.
The Clerk has been of sick with a cold since he said he would.