Thursday, October 30, 2014

Greater Manchester Police’s top Special Constable to be jailed

Greater Manchester Police’s top Special Constable to be jailed @GMPSpecials

Greater Manchester Police’s top Special Constable to be jailed @GMPSpecials

October 29, 2014, 3:57 pm

Greater Manchester Police’s top Special Constable is to be sentenced for various ‘comedy’ crimes at the Greater Manchester Police Museum in an attempt to raise almost £1000 for charity.

Chief Officer Michael Walmsley has been summoned to appear at the GMP Museum replica courtroom on Thursday 20 November 2014.

He will present himself at the museum, a former Victorian police station, for mock processing before facing tongue-in-cheek accusations from friends, families and co-workers and receiving a sentenced befitting his crimes.

Upon being sentenced, Mike will be locked up in the Victorian prison cells – the same cells used to house real prisoners in the museum’s previous life – and will not be released until either the bail requirement of £999 has been reached, or he has completed his sentence.

All bail money raised on the day will be donated to the British Red Cross to help fund projects in the local community and support the charity’s international work.

Mike said: “Obviously I am innocent until proven guilty, and I have a lot of faith in the criminal justice system so I am confident that I will be cleared of all charges. I have done nothing wrong!

“However, as confident as I am in my innocence, I don’t think it would hurt if people could find it in their heart to donate some money towards my bail fund just in case I am wrongly convicted.

“All the money raised on the day will be donated to a great cause that helps people in crisis, so even if people don’t believe in my innocence then I hope they can believe in the brilliant work of the British Red Cross and make a donation.

“I’d like to say a huge thank you to the museum staff who have helped me greatly with this fundraiser. The museum is an excellent location with exhibits with real history. I think I will return for a proper visit when I’m not on trial!”

If anybody would like to make a donation to Chief Officer Michael Walmsley’s bail fund please visit: www.virginmoneygiving.com/FelonMichaelWalmsley