Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Letter from Royal Oak Customer and Uppingham Resident sent to Rutland County Council

Letter from Royal Oak Customer and Uppingham Resident sent to Rutland County Council



Dear Rutland County Council,

What exactly is going on with the recent decision you've collectively made towards the closure of the Royal Oak in Uppingham?

I’m not sure at that you realise exactly what you have just done by making what seems to be a possibly corrupt and biased move to shut down the only working mans (and womans) pub in the entirety of Uppingham.

Before certain interesting considerations, that I will refer to shortly, came to life, my personal feelings were that the tory party just doesn't give a damn about the working man and simply wanted to get the riff raff off the streets by closing their most prized feeding trough and replacing it with a w(h)ine bar.

That was bad enough before it most recently came to light that the daughter of a influential Rutland County Councillor was barred from the above mentioned establishment for displaying what the management judged at the time as unacceptable behaviour.

A coincidence? Not likely! Please do not in this age of the removal of pulled wool try to hide the obvious fact that we are clearly dealing with an age old case of revenge by those with power against those without it.

Do you really think for one minute that the people who know and love this community hub are going to just stand by and let you get away with such an obvious misuse of power?
Frankly that is just insulting!

Sirs and Madams, in the interest of doing and not just talking the very next person I will be contacting will be Sir Alan Duncan and just in case he is on your particular pay roll I shall hedge my bets and also contact both Andrew Bridgen and Andrew Robathan, the respective Tory MP’s of Northwest and South Leicestershire with the emerging details of this case. Please consider this fair warning.

In a nutshell my feelings mirror those of many regulars of the Royal Oak. The pub is the only one of its kind in the area. It is a place that I can not only take my children, but where my children will be accepted and welcomed. Many may think ‘so what’ and ‘why would you want to take your children to a pub?’

To that my answer is simple.

When I was a child I barely saw my father, he was always in the pub. These days I too like to de-stress at the end of a hard week by visiting my favourite local and seeing friends but I don’t want to leave my children behind when I do so. Thanks to the Royal Oak I don’t have to as I know there is a safe, well run and welcoming, smoke free environment in which to take them.

To reiterate safe, in the 15 years since I have been visiting various incarnations of this same public inn, I have never known episodes of anti-social behaviour to be so few. Put simply, the place is very well run.