Oakham Town Council
39 High Street, Oakham,
Rutland, LE15 6AH
Telephone: 01572 723627
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an Office Assistant to join our team based in Oakham, Rutland. The hours of work are 18 hours per week
In return, we offer a competitive salary (SCP 13) in line with the Local Government pay scales, subject to experience and qualifications, 21 days’ holiday (pro-rata) plus bank holidays
The role of the Office Assistant is to support the Clerk to the Council and Town Mayor
Further details and job description can be found on www.oakhamtowncouncil.gov.uk
Applicants should apply with a full CV together with a covering letter to Clerk to the Council, Oakham Town Council, Victoria Hall, 39 High Street, Oakham, Rutland LE15 6AH or via email@example.com
Closing date is 16th June 2017
If your are familiar with the workings of a parish council you would be forgiven for thinking
this is a job advert for a Clerk.
Oakham Town Council employs a full time Clerk. Reading what the assistant is required to do I can't actually see what is going to fill the Clerks full time hours. Especially as we provide no
public services and hold one meeting a month.
The current Clerk was originally employed to assist the previous clerk and she told he never gave her any any work to do, She often spent time just surfing the net and when I complained
about that the council blanked out the window so the public could not see they were paying
for some one to do nothing.
The Clerk is also are proper officer a legal requirement for the financial side of the council
so I am surprised to see the assistant is going to be carrying out those duties.
OAKHAM TOWN COUNCIL
JOB TITLE: Office Assistant
GRADE: Scale SCP13 (equates to £8.57/hr)
RESPONSIBLE TO: Town Clerk
RESPONSIBLE FOR: N/A
PURPOSE OF JOB: To provide secretarial and administrative support to the Town Clerk, and Town Mayor
KEY RELATIONSHIPS: Town Clerk, Mayor, Councillors, Partners.
1. Responsible for dealing with all initial enquiries on behalf of the Town Clerk, including telephone calls, emails, letters, faxes and visitors to the office
2. To take responsibility for resolving a wide range of customer enquiries in a professional, efficient and sensitive manner by:
• The provision of accurate information, advice and assistance.
• Acting as the first point of contact dealing with face to face, telephone, letter, fax, email and web based enquiries.
3. To manage the Town Clerk’s diary to ensure the smooth running of daily schedules and appointments and to prepare papers for meetings.
4. Deal with correspondence on behalf of the Mayor, including co-ordination of the Mayor’s diary, and to provide information and liaise with the Mayor and Deputy Town Mayor regarding engagements.
5. Ensure that notices, Agendas, reports and minutes for the Council, Committees, and Working Groups and Advisory Groups (both electronic and hard copies) are published in accordance with the requires timescales, are printed and distributed as required and are filed and archived in accordance with the regulations.
6. Assist with the day to day operation of the Council’s financial affairs, including:
• Processing of orders, invoices and payments in accordance with agreed procedures
• Verify, code and enter (i.e. allocate to income and expenditure headings) receipts and payments,
• Setting up suppliers and creditors for payment by internet banking
7. Ensure the implementation and maintenance of management information systems, administrative systems, record keeping, filing and archiving systems (both electronic and hard copy), including:
• Planning Application Register and weekly planning applications list
• Members Register of Interests and a record of Members attendance at meetings
• Details of Councillors, their contact information and role and responsibilities,
• Library of Publication Scheme documents
• Personnel Records, including personal details, employment details, absence details (sickness, lateness, authorised / unauthorised(, training and appraisal records
• Details of incidents and accidents
• Details of assets and insurances
• Records of safety checks
• Undertaking weekly computer / server back-ups
8. To provide emergency, lunchtime and holiday cover, as and when required, for the Clerk
9. Maintain and updating records and filing systems (both electronic and hard copy) for the Town Clerk and assisting the Town Mayor
10. Maintaining and ordering stationery, equipment and supplies.
11. To attend occasional staff meetings / training sessions outside your normal hours of work
12. Update social media, Twitter and Facebook and Council web site
13. Assisting with any other duties that the Town Clerk may from time to time require.