Thursday, March 31, 2016

50 and 10 Years



My blog will go quiet very soon for a few days, I have to leave Oakham and visit
family to celebrate my 50th Birthday.



Also Ten Years Ago I moved to Oakham.

As I read  letters in the local paper when I first moved here, little did I know
how some of those names would have such an miserable impact upon my life
here in Oakham. Since the first letter below was written by Helen Briggs CEO
of Rutland County Council in January 2007 the star system vanished its
not possible to issue a council department minus stars.

I have never forgotten her unfortunate quote in the National Press, Twenty Years of Rutland Independence, 10 years on chief executive Helen Briggs enthused, "We are lean and mean,"
(The Guardian)

Politics in Rutland is certainly befitting of her description of here in Rutland.

I had to write and respond to Councillor Richardson's letter in last week's Rutland Times.
I have been at Rutland (County Council] for just over three months. In that time I have had an opportunity to spend time with many of the staff who work for the council.
Without exception I have met hard working individuals and teams committed to providing high quality
services for Rutland. People committed to the public sector and public service.
Staff regularly 'go the extra mile', above and beyond the call of duty – long hours, evening meetings and continuing challenges to their work, life balance. Certainly not a luxurious lifestyle!
Performance speaks for itself – Rutland is a two-star council working with an ambitious improvement agenda. Just recently a number of services have been praised by independent inspectors – the foster care service, the benefits service (4 star excellent), adoption service, adult social care and the children's service.
It is council staff who deliver these services.
Underpinning this is the judgement issued by the Audit Commission that this council offers 'good value for money'.
Rutland County Council and its staff have worked hard to deliver services that are high quality value for money. We will continue to do so in the future and I would ask the community to recognise this dedication.
Helen Briggs
Chief Executive
Rutland County Council


Since Mrs Briggs wrote this letter she has been responsible for the destruction
of that team of staff. Working at Rutland Rutland County Council has driven
many to drink and even suicide.

Residents in the care of the council have died from dehydration and 
starvation.