Friday, October 05, 2012

Oakham Town Council, Says it's Revenue led rather than project led

Oakham Town Council, Says it's Revenue led rather than project led

Today I finally received proof of what I have been saying about our Town Council for a number
of years now and of course I have come under serious attack and abuse from a few of its miserable supporters..

Oakham Town Council has published a report for next Wednesdays meeting, the critical page in my view is the last shown below.

Once again the Town Council prepares a budget, this year the over paid clerk is receiving help from
two councillors.

They would like to see the same change I called for a long time ago.

Stop taxing and spending for the sake of spending,

Reading the first two paragraphs, I saw a glimmer of hope.

The final paragraph has squashed that hope!

Once again a budget has been drawn up with figures plucked from the sky. This is what the clerk is paid
over £2000 a month to do and has done so for many years.

Recognising this is wrong the two councillors suggest a change and then say it is not achievable for
the next financial year..

Can any one tell me why?

What are our parish councillors doing between now and then?

If they are to busy then maybe they should go?

It is a serious wrong for any parish council to be revenue led and not project led.

I can not understand why they would think this is acceptable, I think they rather enjoy squandering other
peoples money?

They go onto say there must be a certain degree of flexibility within the budget for projects not previously been identified. something the Clerk has always said, which in my view makes the budget pointless. My understanding is of  a budget is that it is some form of control, so that things don't go wrong? If a budget is ignored then surely that leads to issues?

A council might have reserves, Oakham Town Council has spent its reserves and placed itself in
debt.

When I look at the draft budget I see issues.

Total Expenditure is set to go down to £223,315 from an estimated expenditure for this year of £243,405

But they say they require a council tax increase of 0.37%

If it has no plans for projects, I think the council should base its budget on what it currently needs to run this  expensive organisation and the few services it provides. Instead of plucking figures from the sky with no plan on how that money will be spent, then in turn the precept could be reduced and if there is a need for a project in the future it can plan and then raise the funds as and when required.

So at the moment its looking highly likely the council will rake in the cash next year once more and then decide how they should spend it all.

Maybe they can help set another private business?

I was pleased to see the budget includes an increase of £2,500 under the  heading salaries. 
it looks like some one has already decided the Clerk is to receive a well deserved pay rise
next year.

that reminds me once again no one was answering the telephone at the council office again this afternoon. Part time staff are costing the tax payers £46,000 this year.