Friday, March 27, 2015

I survived a chat with a Tory Rutland County Councillor Oakham Town Council Elections

I survived a chat with a Tory Rutland County Councillor

For the first time in 9 years I sensed some humanity coming from a Rutland Tory Councillor.
No insults or contempt. Don't worry I won't be  voting Tory.
I sensed they were speaking truthfully.

I enjoyed the part where they acknowledged the Town Council is in my words crap.

No local plan, costing too much and more.

I asked why do you think Independent Alan Walters returned to them after leaving
thinking they were idiots? They replied I believe he thinks he can bring about change
from within.

A good point but my personal experience says it can not be achieved by one
person alone.

I have not asked Mr Walters but since his encounter with the bully known
as Cllr Alf Dewis our Deputy Mayor I think he now realises that is not possible.

I raised the subject of current apathy in Oakham and Rutland and the public
fear that if they stand to serve they will be attacked and ridiculed by some within
the councils.

They said that is true and added I am also to blame. At this point
I became a little defensive but backed down and listened to the final comment
they fear being scrutinised by people like you.

If they fear being scrutinised in public office then they are not fit for purpose.

If a councillor is not doing anything wrong you may not know they exist.

I can assure those reading  I have not raised issues concerning every Rutland or Town
Councillor and only this morning I mentioned Cllr Guthrie who stinks of being
a Tory in  a positive manner for his contribution at Wednesday's meeting.

I did ask a possible prospective Town Council  candidate who I believe
does not have a problem with blogging or commenting. I asked if you
did not like me or you caused me not to like you and I blogged about how terrible you
were as a Councillor if that was the case, how would you react? The response
was I would get on with the job and do the best I could. They fear existing
Councillors more than me. They don't want to be smeared around town fly posted on
every street corner or on-line in a sleazy manner just because they might hold a different
opinion.  I agree and that is why I am considering not standing for Rutland County Council.

Anyway back to the Tory Rutland County Councillor, they finished by saying.
I wish everyone would just do the job and do what is best for our community.
Well Said!



I hope people like:

Helen Briggs CEO & Returning Officer

Leicestershire Police

Richard White Town Clerk

Charles Haworth

Jim Harrison

Paul Beech

Alan Kelly

Alf Dewis

Joyce Lucas

Maureen Dodds

Stan Stubbs

Edward Baines

Roger Begy

Terry King

Gene Plews

and a few others are very pleased with what they have done to our community.


Preparations are underway for my nomination to stand for Oakham Town Council

I want to see a big change and I know many in the community do.

The administration cost of 45% needs to be drastically cut

I fully support the move out of Victoria Hall into the former Gym at Princess
Avenue, this will save the taxpayer over £12,000 a year in current rent.

The Town Clerks contract where he is currently paid over £2000 a month for
no work needs to be challenged.

If the councils move goes ahead and includes the opening of a community hub at the
same location I believe that would be huge benefit for all residents and give the council some
purpose its existence.

I do not support the Town Councils proposed merger with Barleythorpe
those new residents pay a management fee for services which Rutland County
Council us here in Oakham with, so why would they want to just hand over their cash
to Oakham Town Council for nothing. Sorry I forgot our Mayor Jayne Woodcock said
"they might like to attend one of the summer concerts in the park" !!

Barleythorpe is not required by law to have a parish council.

In the last few years a lot of parish councils, have been dissolved for far lesser
reasons than what be given to abolish Oakham Town Council.