Thursday, May 05, 2016

Oakham Town Council Accounts 2015 - 2016 Issues

Oakham Town Council Accounts 2015 - 2016 Issues

If the Electors of Oakham can exercise their right to have copies of anything relating to
Oakham Town Council accounts as the notice below states, this includes the books, contracts
and receipts etc. Why are Oakham Town Councillors who are also electors refused so many
times, I and other Councillors past and present have request many times to see contracts
and the Clerk refused.

This week I photographed a bank credit slip to use in a positive way and the Chairman
Adam Lowe has written to me question my credibility and accuses be of possibly publishing
confidential information. He is so daft at times. He even suggest Freedom of information
should have been used. FOI should only be used as a last resort. mainly when a council is
refusing to be open and transparent.

FOI procedures are simply used to delay issuing requested information at Oakham Town Council
The council does not comply with required procedure because it does not publish the outcome of the
request for all to see.



2015 Notice for electors end of year accounts rights.



Dear Adam Lowe (chairman)

Please stop telling members I am incorrect attached is a photograph of a notice which was put up late last year
it give electors notice of for their end of year rights.

I am searching for a copy of a notice which was posted in 2014 inviting electors to visit the internal auditor.

In the past I had taken up that chance to meet a previous internal auditor.

Members are entitled to visit the internal auditor even if we are not inviting the electors any more. members should know
the date of his visits.

It totally rubbish your suggestion that bank receipts are confidential, and your disgusting questioning of my credibility
for copying one is unacceptable.

A Councillor is permitted to obtain copies at anytime they do not need to use FOI as you suggest

We are more fortunate than registered to electors the council gives them a small window to inspect how we are spending
their money, you can see from the photograph of last years notice they can if required copy anything, even the receipts
for loo roll etc.

More importantly the law permits the electors to obtain contracts, something often the Clerk refused members.

Former Cllr Blanksby was refused sight of contracts.

I hope pointing this out will also help a new member understand why we can not keep commercial contracts secret.
It is the public's money and the public are entitled to know exactly how every penny of the parish councils money
is spent if they want to know.

Exercising my right as elector and Cllr when I visit the office on Moday I would like to see and make copies of all the council contracts
when I visit on Monday. This will also to include copies of all staff contracts.

When I ask Allison our proper officer to let me inspect all books mainly to obtain copies for  invoices for 2015 - 2016 that don't have work orders attached, I don't expect you or any one else to obstruct me from collecting this evidence, for my objections to Grant Thorton.

I am considering requesting a copy of every single accounts document, receipts, payment details etc. so I study them at home, because the way I am treated by some Councillors suggests to me there is something the council has to hide.

I am constantly told just draw a line and move on by some members, we can only draw a line once we know all is in order at the moment
not everything is in order.

Last years audit report raises some very serious issues and many of those have been repeated this year and not all recommendations
have been implemented.

And that includes many from the Accountants Streets.

If I was to accept what I am asked to do, basically just shut up and move on that would make me a very poor Councillor.



From

Martin  Brookes (Cllr)