Saturday, September 02, 2017

Mary Whitehouse National Viewers and Listeners Association

Mary Whitehouse

A friend posted an interesting historic press release on his facebook today.





As a boy whenever Mrs Whitehouse appeared on TV I thought she was bonkers.

When I was older I realised she was a religious person with extreme opinions
who watched a lot of TV, Video and reading material that offended her deeply.
I often wondered why she did not just switch the TV off.

These days we live in a time when I think anything goes on TV and then their
is the internet. When I see something different on TV I often say I wonder what
Mary would have said about today's world.

Mary Brought a Private Prosecution for blasphemy against the Editor of Gay News after
they publish a poem written by James Kirkup in 1977 and won.
Today she would not have been able to prosecute because Blasphemous libel ceased to be a common law offence in England and Wales with the passing of the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008.


WARNING the poem linked from Youtube my offend some people as
the words may be considered extremely explicit by some.