Monday, January 08, 2018

Fish Tank Sushi Social Bakers Yard Church Street Oakham Rutland Right of Reply

Fish Tank Sushi Social Bakers Yard Church Street Oakham Rutland Right of Reply


Before publishing the post, I sent the company a private message through their
facebook page, the message was read and I received no reply.

This evening the company posted a link to their facebook page, on one of my
pages. It surprises me that any company would take to social media to respond to me
in this way.

My blog does not permit comments, for historic reasons. I do provide a voicemail number and a email address for people to contact me. Which a lot more than most bloggers do.

The landlady of their premises appears to have an issue with me due to a response
I gave to a recent planning application. Her change of use application was accepted,
so I do not see what her issue is. This is not the first time I have been intimidated by
a planning applicant and  I wont let it interfere with my intention of always seeking the
best for Oakham. It is disappointing that her tenant the Fish Tank have now provided
a platform for others to attack me via their official Facebook page. This in my opinion
does not give a professional image for the business which is a great shame.

I wish the fish tank success and the owner of bakers yard. I am sure residents will
welcome another large opticians to the town.




My Blog Post



Monday, January 08, 2018

Fish Tank Sushi Social Bakers Yard Church Street Oakham Rutland 2018

https://www.facebook.com/fishtanksushi/

new addition to Oakham last year, I have heard and read good things about this
Sushi Restaurant.

I would have liked to have taken a closer look at what was on offer today via
the menu but unfortunately I was approached by a lady who claimed to own the
court yard and was politely asked to leave as the courtyard was here private property.
Which can't be good for the business trading from it.




























Fish Tank Sushi Reply


Fish Tank Sushi Despite not being a respected blogger like ‪Mr Brooks‬, I still believe the review in question deserves a reply. Seeing how ‪Mr Brooks‬ has deliberately banned anyone being able to leave comments of their own on his site, I shall use Facebook as a platform to reach him.

As already stated, I am no critic, blogger or council voice but do believe it best to visit an establishment on days they are trading (You can generally access this information on their website, along with the menu). I also believe you get a much more authentic feel for the place when the door is open, lights turned on, and the staff are there ready to welcome you. Plus, you don't have to wait so long for your food!

Mr Brooks, we always welcome the opportunity to discuss Fish Tank with any guests, new and old, and try to make them feel welcome. We’re truly lucky to love what we do and love talking about our project. It’s a shame you didn’t allow us that opportunity before publishing your views online.

As for the lady you mention, who politely asked you to leave, as the owner of the complex i feel she has every right to question a lone man taking photographs of her properties. Especially, as none of the businesses were in fact open or even trading that day and most authorised photo shoots are typically carried out with the owners there and premises actually open..

I appreciate Oakham is hardly renowned for its criminal activity (a fact we are very grateful for) but I’m hugely thankful to have a landlady that looks out for my business, especially when it is closed and I get to spend quality time at home with my family. Speaking of family, that is what we are. A very small, family run business trying to provide Oakham with something diverse and different. Somewhere everyone is welcome and which is actively employing people from the area, trying our best to support other local businesses in order to help generate revenue for our beloved county. We are not a big corporation, we have begged, saved and borrowed to make this little restaurant a reality and are very protective and proud of it.

I would hope it would be in every local councillors interest to help try and promote local businesses and make Oakham a destination point. Sadly, looking through the rest of your blog posts, you seem to find great pleasure in finding flaws with this amazing county and picking holes in it. Can I recommend seeking out good and praising all the dedicated, hard working men and woman in Rutland that are actually trying to do something positive with their lives.

Mr Brook. My name is Sam and I am the co-owner of Fish Tank and you are more then welcome to comment on this post. I believe that if you have the right to say something, people have the right to reply. And please, check the website for opening times.


My Reply


Martin Brookes Dear Fish Tank Sushi It is some what disappointing you have taken to social media in this way, I have not published anything bad about your business and was looking forward to trying out the new addition to Oakham soon, I don't think I will bother now. Kind regards from Martin Brookes



Landlady and Property Owners Reply:


Alison Roberts Martin Brooks I do actually own the courtyard and don't just 'claim to'
The Bakers Yard has been closed for several months now but is soon to be re opened by a very well respected and old established Oakham family fun business. You probably already know this though, as you were actually the only person who objected to the recent change of use application from A4 to A1..

Fish Tank Sushi was clearly closed today, the clue being that no lights were on, the door was locked and there were no staff around. I watched you walk down the courtyard taking photographs of my (empty) properties, even wandering down to the area of the courtyard which houses the dustbins and is only used by the staff of Costa Coffee, Fish Tank and myself.

As you correctly said I asked you politely to stop taking photographs of my properties and to leave the courtyard as there was no reason for you to be there, it is private property.

By leaving a nasty review for a new business of which you clearly know nothing about you really do show your true colours.

What a spiteful little busy body you are.
Let's hope what goes round comes round





My Reply


Martin Brookes Dear Alison, Thank you for confirming you are the owner. I dispute your description of events. I only took the two photographs publish on my post. Yes I did object to the change of use from wine bar to optician and I suspected this was your reason for claiming I interfere with other peoples business. I objected as a town councillor because the people I represent did not see the need for another optician and actually like myself used to enjoy the wine bar.




My Objection sent to Rutland County Council Planning in my capacity as a councillor
It is disspointing the applicant thinks I am a spiteful busy body.

Unit 2, Bakers Yard, Church Street, Oakham, OAKHAM, Rutland, LE15 6AA Change of Use from Wine Bar (Class A4) to Retail (Class A1) Reason: Residents often complain that both councils do nothing to prevent business's opening   in town when they don't want them and it often the case that we can not do anything in this case we have a change of use application which is proposing the opening of   another optician. Recently we have seen the opening of Opticians number 5 in the town. There is   not the footfall during the week. For another Optician, all though this is not a planning   consideration it might be of interest to the applicant to know the new Specsavers is   struggling from its high street location to attract customers during the week, so much so   it has resorted to leaflet distribution and a silly balloon arch outside its store. For this reason I object to the change of use and would welcome a change if a retail outlet selling products was to open. From: Cllr Martin Brookes Oakham South East Ward Town Councillor 13 Willow Crescent, Oakham, LE15 6EQ


One thing I have learnt from this is it would appear despite all the residents moaning that
the town council does nothing to prevent change of uses, there is nothing a councillor can
actually do to prevent any changes. I question why the government changed the rules surrounding
this type of change of use?

Rutland County Councils Delegated
Report http://planningonline.rutland.gov.uk/swift/MediaTemp/31189-106010.pdf



I now consider this matter closed if either the landlady or owners of the Fish Tank wish to add more to this post please email me at martinbrookes@outlook.com