Friday, May 06, 2022

Statement from Rutland County Councillor Ian Razzell a former Rutland and Melton Conservative now Independent nonaligned 'Sadly though, appalling and archaic behaviours from the few continue to fail the County'

 

Statement from Cllr Ian Razzell a former Rutland and Melton Conservative.

From my early years as a boy, I learned about and became part of a farming community, a caring community and one that worked together for the betterment of all, without personal gain.

In 2019, I had the honour to run as a Conservative County Councillor and be elected to represent the residents of Oakham South, taking responsibility for work in my ward and across the County. In those early days it was about listening and learning but on reflection, also about not knowing enough. Since then, I haven’t always got it right but the principles of being a good human are as fundamental as the values and standards I learned at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, Fort Levenworth and other centres of academia. Those values and standards include honesty, integrity, selfless commitment, courage, leadership, honour and respect for others. They have no shades, they are not negotiable, they court no compromise. Over the past 12 months I have looked with increasing despair at the Westminster cohort (all of them) and have seen little to be proud of. At a time when the country needs a strong and effective opposition, along with stability and leadership from those in power, they have all been found wanting.

In Rutland and in responding to residents and organisations who need support, guidance, a friendly ear, someone to shout at or someone to help them, it has been the privilege of my life to be of some value. The role of County Councillor and Armed Forces Champion has given me the opportunity to support those who need it and I have been humbled by the consummate professionalism of our Council Officers working against all the odds to deliver during the most difficult of times.

Sadly though, appalling and archaic behaviours from the few continue to fail the County and it is because of that self-centred flag waving and grand standing, that I must look to my own values and standards, resign from the Conservative Party and move to an Independent (non-aligned) position within the elected membership of the County Council.

When I was elected, it was to represent my Ward and the County. Making popular decisions is easy for some but making difficult decisions (often the right ones) takes courage. In the time left to me, I will continue to serve all ward residents and the County of Rutland to the best of my ability.

Values and Standards - that’s it really.