Friday, March 18, 2011

Oakham Town Council and Ashwell Garden Centre Update

Today I put my written complaint to the police regarding the contract to supply hanging baskets to Oakham Town Council.

I am waiting to hear from Rutland County Council. I have asked if there is a body amongst the local government watchdogs that can investigate this contract.

Interestingly a person a Leicestershire police said I have a valid point, so that gives me hope.

If nothing is done the good news is my complaints regarding the awarding of this contract has paid off and the tax payer has been saved around £11,000 

Personally I feel Richard White should be sacked, as a relic of the old boys club Oakham Town Council was. I say was because Councillor Alf Dewis say it is no longer one.

In some cases this is true we no longer see fat councillors in the Rutland Times having a annual Town Dinner at the Whipper Inn at the expense of the tax payer.

The Mayors slush fund has been closed.

If what Cllr Dewis says is true? I wonder why he voted for the computer contract when that was not tendered and the owner of that company is an associate of the clerk. Only one Councillor voted against, Cllr Adam Lowe who is also a special constable, He received a e-mail the following day, from someone at the council (he did not give name) questioning why? I think the answer is clear, he does not want to be seen supporting corrupt practices.

It remind me of the £30,000 for the bandstand roof, local builders still tell me if they knew the contract was going to be so lucrative they would have tendered.

A search on the internet and I can find many quotations mentioned to remove and remove a roof from a 3 bedroom house. I found one that even chucks in a loft ladder and a velux window all for £8,700

This why local builders did not quote for the bandstand because most felt it would only cost around £4,000 - £5,000

Of course the Clerks respectable friends like ex Cllr Paul Beech wrote to the paper and congratulated the Clerk in the Rutland Times after I complained, but I am not sure Mr Beech would consider a quote of £30,000 to re-roof his modest Bed and Breakfast value for money.

Here is the example:

Remove roof and re-roof property --> £8700. Includes;
+install insulation@125mm
+installation of 1x velux double glazed window
+scaffolding skips + building regulations
+Inclusive loft ladder