Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cllr John Nowell, Co-opted onto Oakham Town Council

Cllr John Nowell, Co-opted was onto Oakham Town Council,

It was one very long council meeting tonight, I arrived at Oakham Town Council at around 6.30pm and departed at 9.30pm. I have never seen a Oakham Town Council meeting extended before.

I had a feeling at the end of the meeting someone gained some slight pleasure, be they forgot to tell me a standards inspector was present.

Of course there were the normal signs, Cllr Dewis was charming and agendas had been placed on chair for the non existent public, also the Chairman Cllr Lucas was grovelling can I say that? who cares.

The meeting dragged as the town council fails to carry out any ground work we spent a large portion of the meeting discussing the number of members to send to outside bodies and decide who would be the representative. More than once the Clerk appeared to be tearing his hair out in frustration and the way the meeting was progress or not. I shared his frustration.

I attempted to gain support from the Council to save the Green Field along Barleythorpe Road, Cllr Dewis said it would be difficult or the council to do anything so it looks like Oakham Town Council can't help. If any residents want the support of a town councillor I am willing to try and help.

We discussed co-option and amended a standing order, I am not sure why? Something Cllr Dewis wanted.

We looked at a tourist leaflet and agreed to publish it.

We managed to reach the planning items and passed everything and went home.