Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Stand Up to Bullies Like Rutland County Council and Spire Homes


Maybe? Good News for some Spire Homes Lease Holders in Oakham and Rutland

Maybe? Good News for some Spire Homes Lease Holders in Oakham and Rutland

Why?

Seven year ago I was looking for a new home to buy, I have never been a big fan of leasehold properties due to the ongoing costs surrounding a leasehold property. I had often heard friends complain about huge management charges for little or nothing in return. So when I found a property here in Oakham advertised with only ground rent and insurance to pay I decided that would be fine.

In my case at the time Rutland County Council was the freeholder at the time later the management was passed to Spire Homes who eventually took over the freehold.

At the time of my purchase Rutland County Council demanded a years management fee and my solicitor paid this fee?

After moving in I refused to pay any further fees. This action resulted in many years of harassment from Rutland  County Council this included anonymous comments  online relating to this matter, A home visit from one of the councils former solicitors, who told me "don't worry Mr Brookes we will get the money, we will charge it to your property and will recover the money when you sell or die". discussing other issues relating to problems with a plans plans that still need changing because they incorrectly show I own important part of a Spire Homes  Property "you would not be complaining if the landlord was not the council."

Spire Homes later took on the management of the councils properties and this included the leaseholders. They relied on advice from Rutland Council and continually demanding and harassing me for payment. ignoring my requests to put their claims before the court.

When they finally took over the ownership of the freehold from Rutland County Council they stepped up the pressure and added additional charge such as building rent? which was later removed and blamed on administration error. I received letter quoting housings acts threatening the loss of my lease. All very unpleasant.

In the end I wrote to my MP Alan Ducan who wrote a helpful letter he also received a letter of response form Geoff Pook who is employed by Rutland County Council which can only be described as a work of fiction placing the entire blame on me.

This is the point of this post that will be of interest to other lease holders who I know hold the same or similar  leases.

I received a letter from Spire Homes yesterday.

After Seven year of fighting the big bullies that are Rutland County Council led by Chief Executive Helen Briggs and her team of Conservatives and Spire Homes, I have gained one a small victory for myself and possibly other leaseholders.

Spire Homes consulted the Leasehold Advisory Service because unlike other lease holders who pay. I feel Spire Homes could see I was not going to crumble and submit to their bullying demands by letter or home visits.

The Leasehold Advisory Service have told them they are wrong to demand these fees of course they were not happy with this result and obtained a second opinion for their solicitor who told them the same.

They now say they will be removing the charges applied to my account since these were introduced.


Accordingly, we hope that this mow resolves this matter to your satisfaction.

For other leaseholders this could mean they are entitled to claim back all the money they have paid to Rutland County Council and Spire Homes over many years.

In my case a demand has been sent to Rutland County Council requesting a refund of my money plus interest  I am also demanding compensation from them and Spire Homes for the seven years of harassment.
The lease clearly states if I leaseholder complies with all the terms of my lease the freeholder must leave me to live and enjoy my property in peace something Rutland County Council or Spire Homes have not complied with.

As for the plans which I was told was a simple issue to change, when I purchased, The changes required benefit Spire Homes not me. Their tenant currently lives away from the home most of the time, So I think the time has come for me to recover the parts of the property that are currently legally owned by me, by taking  either taking possession or demanding rent due.

My case is one example of how Rutland County Council bully people of Rutland and use property matters as tool to carry out that act.

At least I now know there solicitor was wrong to expect money form me when I die, I intend to leave my money to good causes not Rutland County Council when I die...