Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Conservative councillor sacked from post for joke about murdered Manchester policewomen, Tory Cllr Stephenson, on Erewash Borough Council in Derbyshire apologised for the “tasteless” remarks


Conservative councillor sacked from post for joke about murdered Manchester policewomen


Councillor Abey Stevenson
Party: Conservative
Ward: Little Eaton and Breadsall

Councillor.abey.stevenson@erewash.gov.uk










Mr Stephenson, on Erewash Borough Council in Derbyshire, apologised for the “tasteless” remarks.

Speaking from his home near Ilkeston, Mr Stephenson said: "If I've caused offence to anyone I am really very sorry.

"I never intended to and if I could turn back the clock i would.

"I don't know the lady who made the complaint but I apologise to her for any offence caused."

He added: “I am totally against the use of guns and no-one should have been exposed to them in the way those two lady police officers were.”

Council leader Chris Corbett said he was appalled, adding: “I have removed him from his post as a lead member immediately.”

It is not possible to remove him as a borough councillor as he was elected, but he will not be able to stand for re-election for the party.


Erewash Council always interest me because it does some funny things.

It once sacked it Chief Executive and used the money to employ five road sweepers.

the sacked chief executive sued and won his case so I can only imagine in the end the council
did not save a penny.

The Chief Executive who is obviously more qualified than our current mistake here in Rutland
became the head of legal services at Rutland County Council.

He no longer does that job, people don't really know what he does these days.

He wrote to me the other week asking me to be patient, Rutland County Council owe me money
he said I will receive a refund, but  I must be patient. he must be have a job in the typing pool

Now can you imagine me or anyone else getting away with that if we owed them a penny?