Friday, September 06, 2013

Kevin Brennan, Welwyn Garden City, below-knee amputee will be cycling 80 km around Hertfordshire finishing at the Olympic Park. YMCA Central Herts & Help for Heroes.

Kevin Brennan's 80km Challenge

Fundraiser: Kevin Brennan

uk.virginmoneygiving.com/KevinBrennan80km

Please visit his page and sponsor through Virgin Money Giving

Kevin Brennan, below-knee amputee will be cycling 80 km around Hertfordshire finishing at the Olympic Park.

Proceeds will be going to two very worth causes, YMCA Central Herts & Help for Heroes.



Born and brought up in Stevenage, Kevin  arrived at the  hostel in Peartree Lane, WGC after he was made homeless. “Circumstances changed in my life. I came to the YMCA homeless and they've given me great support. I personally feel I've got to give something back.”

Explaining his decision to fund raise for us, he said: “It’s very important, it’s a starting block for me here. It’s somewhere to sleep, you've got all the support you need here, they’re great – so I really wanted to do some fundraising for YMCA Central Herts. You need these places around."

Kevin used to manage a Panshanger FC junior team and had harboured dreams of becoming a footballer as a youngster, before a hit-and-run crash more than 30 years ago left him struggling to walk. He had part of his foot amputated in 1984, but it was not until 18 months ago that he had his lower leg removed. In May this year he was fitted with a prosthetic leg at the Luton & Dunstable Hospital and  now plans to start cycling for the first time since his childhood.

“Having my lower leg removed was a big trauma, but I just dealt with it in my own little way, and I was determined not to feel sorry for myself. I want to just carry on.”  Last summer’s Paralympic Games have inspired him to return to sport, and he decided to take on the challenge and do something positive for charity too.  He is also supporting Help for Heroes as he had planned to join the army just before his accident.


amputee cyclist

amputee cyclist

@kevbre222 

below the knee amputee of just 2 years.. 80kmchallenge cycle to the olympic park in october rasing money for ymca help for heroes