Friday, July 03, 2015

Oakham Town Council Council Business Exclusion and Business Conducted Invalid (unlawful)

To add insult to injury Oakham Town Council's Chairman and Mayor Cllr Alf Dewis
suggests training for members.

It was his unlawful conduct on Monday supported by most members that has brought
Oakham Town Council into serious disrepute.

Cllr Alf Dewis and some other members can simply be described as homophobic bigoted
bullies.

I use this description after a Councillor told me last week "we do not like gay people

Email sent to all via the Clerk from Cllr Dewis:

Dear All

To clarify the position.  After I adjourned the meeting on Monday I should have reconvened by stating "This meeting is reconvened at ***pm"  This I fail to do therefore the meeting was not officially reconvened and everything after the adjournment is void.  Fortunately this has little effect on the proceedings as further errors in the accounts were identified by Michael and we are now attempting to appoint a firm of independent accountants to undertake a short review to ascertain whether any other errors have occurred.

Yesterday, I met with the Monitoring Officer and we mutually agreed that it would be useful for all councillors to undertake a short course on the Code of Conduct and the role of the Monitoring Officer to be run by Jake Atkinson(from the Association) and Debbie Mogg (Monitoring Officer at RCC).  Could you please let me have your availability for Tuesday and Thursday evenings in August and September.  The course to be run in Oakham and last no longer than 2 hours.  Appreciate your response ASAP.

Regards

Alf


Email received from the Town Clerk this morning note how he uses the word invalid
rather than the more accurate description of unlawful.

All

You will be receiving the agendas, etc. for this this morning. (I think that should read from this morning)

On the covering letter it states that you are all aware that certain decisions made on Monday night were void  as the meeting had not been properly re-convened after it was first adjourned.

Looking back over what has been sent out on e-mail I realise now that you are probably not all aware of this fact.

After the meeting I took advice from LRALC and their view was as above.

Therefore the decisions to exclude Martin and the subsequent approval of the re-stated accounts are invalid and I am waiting for further advice on how this is reflected in the minutes


Richard White
Clerk to Oakham Town Council
01572 723627


The Mayor Cllr Dewis has ignored my recent communications.
He has no apologised for his unlawful conduct.

I now publicly repeat my request for his resignation.