Sunday, February 14, 2016

Oakham Town Councils Mayor Cllr Alf Dewis Response to comments about Bullying, Racism

This week I wrote to our Chairman pointing out complaints I hear from other members
relating to Bullying and Racism they hear or subjected to.

I wrote to him for his assistance to stop such conduct.

This week Cllr Adam Lowe was annoyed with another Cllr and called him a Muslim
which I like the recipient find is unacceptable conduct from our deputy Mayor.
His appalling conduct is supported by the old guard, I do often use that term it is not
an ageist thing as the chairman suggests, they refer to me and others as the new guard.

I am shocked but not surprised by the reply I have received from Cllr Dewis
He oddly suggests I am the bully and suggests I should consider my position
on the council?

Apparently it is vindictive to point out  Cllr Joyce Lucas is bullying members
of Oakham in Bloom and upsetting members of the Festival committee like
she has done on two other local groups, I am more concerned about the first
two because embarrassingly she represents the council on those committees.

As for his comment the council dissociates itself from my comments how
odd is that and who is the council he is suggesting is dissociating itself
from my comments? Is it Him, Joyce Lucas, Adam Lowe and Stan Stubbs?
because I know he is certainly not speaking for all members.





Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 11:32 AM

From: "Alf Dewis"

To: "martinbrookes@politician.com"

Subject: RE: Racism
Martin
It appears that you are content to listen to and believe third hand information that criticises members of Oakham Town Council rather than disbelieve it until you can confirm it yourself.  You are obviously very keen on attacking members and grasp at every little bit of criticism that you can find without confirming its validity.  The phrase 'I am told' does not mean that it actually happened as you need to be able to provide proof of who said what and when.  If you can do that I will investigate but until you can it is purely hearsay and members should be given the benefit of the doubt.   You keep quoting what is and isn't lawful and I wonder if you have ever come across the phrase 'innocent until proven guilty'. You are a councillor and it would be a change to see you attempting to work with members for the betterment of the community rather than continuously attacking them.  In fact, attacking members without proof is now a serious issue affecting this Council.  If only you could direct the energy you use in attacking members into positive work for the Council.
As far as I'm aware there is no racism, homophobia or bullying in the Council unless you can provide proof to the contrary. Unfortunately there is bullying and intimidation which you are presently carrying out.  You might like to add ageism to that list which emanates from your continual attack on the so called 'old guard'.
As Chairman, I will state that the Council dissociates itself from and does not in any way support the comments you make.
You may wish to consider your position as a councillor following the latest vindictive comments you have made.

Alf