Thursday, June 17, 2010

Oakham Town Council History COUNCILLOR AT CENTRE OF ROW BECOMES MAYOR

When I look at the history of Oakham Town Council it has never realy been any different than it is now

back in 2001 there was much controversy has surrounded the decision to elect Joyce Lucas as Town Mayor.

Joyce Lucas was very contraversal because as a councillor, she had supported the closure of Ferrers school,

at the time Sheila Smith, a grandparent of children at Ferrers School, said: I don t think Joyce Lucas should be mayor of Oakham. She is not worthy of this position.

Her decision to vote for the closure of Ferrers proves she does not have the communities best interests at heart.

The pupils are devastated. Every day gets worse for them, as the reality of the closure hits home.

I won't single Cllr Lucas out, My feeling is most of Oakham Town Councillor don't have the communities interest at heart.

I found a letter in the Rutland times very interesting today. I noticed more residents are now speaking out against the elite who run Oakham and who are often quite selfish.
I noticed Joyce was elected in a secret ballot by Oakham Town Councillors. Not much changed there I wonder why they feel the need for so much secrecy?

Mrs Lucas was asked to comment after she was elected Mayor and said: My three Rs are: one, if it doesn t work rip it up, two, no recriminations, let bygones be bygones, third, reconcilliation, we have all got to pull together to achieve our aims, I hope I have support now.