Saturday, October 08, 2011

Cutts Close Footpath Closed, Oakham Town Council removal, no public consultation

Cutts Close Footpath Closed, Oakham Town Council removal, no public consultation?



If you live in Oakham and walk through Cutts Close Oakham, you may have noticed the sudden  closure of
a foot path in Cutts Close.

Footpaths appeared on the last parks meeting agenda. The Town Clerk suggested various works were required although no one had complained, nor had the matter been raised during the Green Flag inspection.

I questioned the need for any of this work and between the time of my questioning two residents in wheel chairs on two consecutive days nearly fell out of their chairs using the path which is now closed.

The Council received a quote for removing this path and providing top soil, grass seed and the loan of the fences to close the path, all for under £500? I have a sneaky feeling this is a loss leader by the contractor, hoping they will be granted the contract to replace and widen other paths in the park or they are going to fly tip the tarmac outside Peterborough City Council? Their charge does not add up a skip of top soil will cost around £100+ and grass seed is not cheap...

I asked if we would obtain the correct waste disposal certificates I received no response from the council.

It would be nice if for once the Town Council Consulted residents and listened to their views before deciding to remove this foot path. Those I spoke to today said it would be a shame to lose the path.
I could not tell them the councils plans because after all I am only a Councillor why should I know what's going on?

I  read the Rutland Mercury to see what group had been booked for next years Queens Diamond Jubilee celebrations in Cutts Close. When I found it was Wrinkle Rock that was no surprise. The group leader did say to the Deputy Chairman, there would be no problem because he knew the Clerk well. Is it not time this council stopped serving it cronies and served the people of Oakham? This event is another example of how the council does not consult the public.