Monday, November 07, 2011

Rutland County Council Strangle Oakham Town Partnership

Rutland County Council Strangle Oakham Town Partnership

It was announced this evening Rutland County Council will no longer be supporting the Partnership, either funding or staff.  Peter Jones expressed his unhappiness with Rutland County Councils actions.

From today the partnership will be responsible for its own administration.

A director from RCC seemed to give the impression Oakham Town Council was not supporting the partnership and referred to the funding of the Towns manager who was made redundant. At no time
had Oakham Town Council say it would not fund the town manager, it actually paid RCC a contribution
after the manager was made redundant. I am sure if the partnership came to the Town Council with a request
for funding it would be considered in the normal way. This now of course means they have to give a reason
not just say we need money.

Re-elected chairman Vernon Moore said it will a difficult year ahead. I got the impression he would not have minded if some one else had offered to take on the role. He gave that impression when speaking about the
commitment to the role.


The financial report stated the partnership has £7,000 + surplus cash, some thing to remember for Oakham Town Councils meeting this Wednesday.


Vernon said the partnership may have to be set up as a company if it is to continue.


I think with Vernon at the helm he may just stop this partnership from sinking.


It was clear this is a new beginning.

And traffic issues appear to be a priority for the partnership.


I was surprised Vernon did persist in digging a hole for the benefit of those who chose to block my application
to join the partnership as a resident.


A new member who could not be arsed to turn up was accepted as a business representative.


Sadly for the Voluntary Action /Rutland rep, he could not be appointed due to the Council stating in a email to me the Rutland Times had incorrectly published there needs. I am sure he will be co-opted at a future closed meeting.

Once the AGM had ended the Partnership held their first meeting behind closed doors.
Although they seek public funds they do not hold open public meetings.


When I left the meeting, I found the reason for the absence of Cllr Terry King he was meeting with Barley Thorpe Road Residents. I was told he was trying to flog residents a strip of land they believe they have an access right to. As they finished I was greeted by residents. Lately I am always a little apprehensive when people great me. The leader of the residents said people disagreed with the most recent description of me.
He said we don't think you are a the most revolting man in Rutland. I say thanks. He went on to say I have more support than I think. He also said he had experienced peoples apathy setting up his residents group. Apathy is a trait Rutland County County Council and Oakham Town Council relish. I hope his success  represents a tide of change.