Friday, November 16, 2012

Nick Alston, Police and Crime Commissioner, Essex


alston
conservative logo
The Conservative Party Candidate
Force area:
Essex

Nick Alston

Election statement:
I am delighted to be standing as Conservative candidate for Essex Police and 
Crime Commissioner.
Born and brought up in Essex, the son of a senior Essex policeman, I went to school 
in Chelmsford and to Cambridge University and then joined the Royal Navy. 
After this I served nearly 30 years in national defence and security. Throughout 
that time in the UK, including inNorthern Ireland, and overseas I worked closely 
with the police at all levels of seniority. I was appointed CBE in 1997 for my
leadership of that work.
I was a Director of my department for 8 years before becoming a Managing 
Director for a major international company. I was responsible for the security of the 
firm again working with police internationally. I am now on the Advisory Board of 
the Jill Dando Institute of Crime Science at UCL and a Director at Broomfield Hospital.
This new role will enable all of us who live in Essex to have a direct say in setting 
the priorities of our police and to hold them to account. This is not possible under 
present arrangements and will close a democratic gap.
In addition to having the skills and experience to hold the Chief Constable to 
account on your behalf, I have four simple priorities for reducing crime:
  • Policing      that meets local needs;
  • Policing      that is prompt and professional;
  • Effective     cooperation and partnership between Police, Councils and 
  • the  Voluntary Sector;
  • To be an influential voice in leading public engagement about crime 
  • reduction and policing, and to listen to and speak for the victims of crime.
I am enthusiastic about this challenging role and having the opportunity to serve my county.
Prepared by Paul Honeywood of 84 Station Road, Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, 
CO15 1SP on behalf of Nick Alston
Website: www.nickalston.com      Facebook: NickAlstonPCC