Sunday, February 03, 2013

The booing and hissing, Conservative, Rutland County Councillors


What is being hidden here?

Tags: Question
I am one of twenty six Rutland County Councillors who employ a Chief Officer to run and oversee the services we provide as a local authority. This is done with the budget we agree and within the policies we set. If I have any doubts or concerns about anything within this service provision I expect to be allowed to ask questions to satisfy myself that all is OK. There are times that things are not OK for a number of reasons, one being human error. We are all prone to that at times and when you are providing services to the public there needs to be good monitoring.
In June 2012 one of the council’s three directors was suspended for an indefinite period by the Chief Officer. For such an action to be taken with a most senior and well paid officer the reason could not have been trivial. We know whatever it was it was not criminal and one can only assume it was a very serious breach of either their employment conditions or the way service provision within his portfolio was being provided.
Without going into the directors personal details I wanted to know of the circumstances for the suspension and the tragedy that followed hours later when he took his own life. Therefore I asked for“an immediate review of the allegations against the Director of Places and the disciplinary process which was followed”. The reply I received was hostile and when I asked a supplementary question I was appalled at the booing and hissing at me that came from the Conservative majority. My questions may have been ‘difficult’ for some but needed to be asked.
The whole background this unfortunate event is being carefully put together and can be placed on this website when complete. There are other questions that have been asked on this but answers have been denied………………….so far.               Openness, Transparency and Accountability