Sunday, December 07, 2014

Naomi Cohen, “Thanks for the Boycott from Adolf.” Email Sent to 54 Leicester City Councillor, “I would like to thank you in continuing my work posthumously,” and was signed off “From Adolf Hitler”.

Police have been asked to investigate an email sent to Leicester city councillors in the wake of a debate they held on the actions of Israel’s Government in Palestine and the occupied West Bank.

All of the 54 members of the council received the email, after Labour councillors voted to boycott goods from Israeli settlements in the West Bank and condemn the action of the Israeli state.

The message was entitled: “Thanks for the Boycott from Adolf.”

It began, “I would like to thank you in continuing my work posthumously,” and was signed off “From Adolf Hitler”.

The Mercury understands at least one councillor forwarded the message to the authority’s monitoring officer over concerns it might constitute a hate crime.

The council has confirmed there was a complaint about the email, and that it has been passed to Leicestershire Police for their consideration. Nobody from the force was available to comment on the matter.

Liberal Democrat councillor Nigel Porter said: “I was actually shocked by the content. I contacted the lady who sent it to tell her sending emails like that might get her into a bit of trouble, but she said she did not think Labour should be singling out this issue and I agree with her on that.”

The email was sent by Naomi Cohen who is Jewish and lives in Liverpool.

She told the Mercury: “I am glad there have been complaints. I am glad it has gone to the police. I am more than happy for them to come round here and talk to them if they want.

“It wasn’t satire, I wasn’t trying to be deliberately provocative.



Read more: Leicester Mercury