Thursday, November 26, 2015

Oakham Deputy Mayor Cllr Adam Lowe Communication About Oakham Town Council Cottesmore Hunt Ban

Oakham Deputy Mayor Cllr Adam Lowe Communication About Oakham Town Council Cottesmore Hunt Ban


One of the things I note is the passion of the pro hunt supporters and their inability to accept
that other may not agree with them.

I have just listened to Rutland Radio News and heard the Cottesmore Hunt secretary say
the town council have been misguided and at least one person must be anti hunt.

I would say there was more than one and that is an entitlement of those who hold that opinion.

They make a suggestion the public are outraged. Some maybe. Although most of the messages I have received support the majority vote and the facebook comments on various posts all are welcoming the news.

I have received a  few messages from pro hunt .

The one below sent to me as a personal message from a hunt supporter.

Susan Sills
26 November 11:17
Oakham is becoming the chav town of Rutland. How dare the council ban the Boxing Day meet of the Cottesmore hounds.

If I or any others labeled all pro hunt supporters as pompous Tories, they may be offended so why label Oakham Residents as Chavs.


The Deputy Mayor and Tory and Hunt Supporter Adam Lowe, sent us all Councillors an email rant
this morning addressed to our chairman.



Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 9:25 AM
From: "Adam Lowe"
To: "Martin Brookes"
Subject: Hunt

Alf

I strongly believe the Council made the wrong decision on the Hunt last night.

The Cllrs that opposed this did not represent the VOICE of their ward members who they are there to represent in my opinion.

ALL of the comments from Cllrs were their opinions, they are meant to be objective.

This is a Market Town steeped in history and tradition and the comment that traditions do stop is because of people making the wrong decisions.

Why stop at the Hunt, lets pull down the Buttercross and the Town Water Pump. Tradition is lost because people stop fighting for it, are we that complacent.

I find it incredible to compare a tradition like this to capital Punishment  and Romans throwing Christians to lions, it demonstrated a Council
completely out of touch with reality and more importantly the Towns people it is there to represent.

Thanks to Councillor Martin Brookes who all but slandered the Hunt last night in comments he made, he now has sensationalised the decision on his
blog by stating the Town Council ban the Hunt. This miss-represents the Town Council's actual decision.

Cllr Hopkins made one of the few sensible comments that the Town Council should ask people if they want a Hunt Meet in Cutts.

I am making this a formal request and I am asking that the Councillors on this Council bring this item back for consideration at the December meeting.

The reason for this is, I have already received text messages from people asking how do we get the Hunt Meet back.

I also believe that we are facing another public facebook campaign and we should listen very carefully to the people we represent, otherwise why are we
Town Councillors, the decision last night , in my opinion, did not represent the people of Oakham or Rutland.

bring it back in December, if the there is a public voice it will be present, if not then fine.

I know that once a decision is reached the Councillors should abide by it, I should agree agree with this, however I have witnessed so much hypocrisy recently and my strongest
believe is that the Town Council got it wrong and I am going to stand up and say so on this matter.



Regards Adam

Cllr Adam Lowe Oakham Town Council




Dear Adam,
 
I strongly object to your use of the word hypocrisy, I personally have not been a hypocrite. I have spoken against
the hunt for many years and even at in dputation at council, I voted against as a Cllr 2010 other years I have
noticed the vote to grant permission has been extremely close and no overall majority as was the case last night
 
You state I have slandered the Hunt I did not, I gave the facts. Local Hunt Supporters and Masters did 
tell the Melton Times in 2004  WE'LL BREAK THE LAW http://www.meltontimes.co.uk/news/local/we-ll-break-the-law-1-480463
 
The Cottesemore Hunt has in the past broke the law and been prosecuted, most recently this September, so please don't falsely accuse me of 
Slander. I should really be used to the old guard by now taking their frustrations out on me. 
 
Your silly comments about the buttercross and the pump prove you are disappointed, that the council has banned the hunt
from the park. Banned means forbids and that was the decision of the overall majority of the council this year.
 
I am sure you have received text messages supporting the event. I noticed a member of the public's disapproval as
they departed the chamber after the vote which was 2 for and 7 against. I also noticed the big smile from another member
of the public. We will never please everyone.  I look forward to receiving anonymous text messages from the nut on the council
very soon perhaps attacking me for supporting the overall majority of the council.
 
As for your attack on all Councillors conduct, at training we were told sometimes we will make decisions that some 
or all residents may not agree with. So in this case I supported a decision which I feel protects the councils property
and objected to something that could be seen by some, as the council supporting a local Conservative political stance
of pro hunting.
 
As for a Facebook campaign that could be interesting.
 
Before the meeting I posted the council will be voting on a request from the hunt, I received messages from a residents
none in support of the hunt they are mainly female.
 
One Said: Oh God, not that again
 
Another Said: I hate the Hunt please vote for the circus.
 
On the Circus one said: Really hope they do this, hate the hunt!
 
I can not think of any good reason this item should be represented to council in December if
it is it will just make us look stupid once again.
 
Who knows perhaps a the funfair and circus approved can become a tradition that can enjoyed 
by all Oakhams families if they want to.
 
As you are the councils press spokesperson will you ensure anything you pass to the local paper on this subject 
is passed by our chairman first if you are speaking on behalf of the council as required by the councils rules.
 
Perhaps just for this case, due to your strong opinions expressed in your email you may consider it appropriate
to step aside as the councils press spokesman?
 
You are perfectly entitled to speak to the press in your own capacity, in the same way anyone can.
 
Referring back to the conduct issues, perhaps you should also joke a little less in meetings, I doubt the developer is planting extra trees because
people don't wan't to see the elderly residents.
 
From 
 
Martin