Sunday, June 06, 2021

The Grand Hotel Brighton Victorian Afternoon Tea










The food was good,  I do wonder why it had to be garnished with dead green leaves?

the service was not so good.  

The Waiter left me sitting for nearly 30 minutes even though I had booked a table for ONE.

He said "I thought you were waiting for someone"

I replied no and I was beginning to think, I had been forgotten.

At this point he very quickly cleared the extra setting.

I felt the service was unnecessarily rushed and lacked the friendly interaction, I have often found at many other fine establishments.  

I would rate the service lower than a Morrisons Cafe.

There also appeared to be shortage of tea strainers, mine never arrived.

The Tea Cup and saucers were nice made by William Edwards in Staffordshire they retail for around £65 a cup and saucer.

https://www.williamedwardshome.co.uk/collections/reed

Although the menu states scones, the Grand only serve one scone, I asked for a additional one and very quickly two more arrived. The extra one I ate, was delicious fresh out the oven unlike the first.

Would I take tea at the Grand again probably not, it was not as Grand as I expected?

I did learn a new variant of afternoon tea from a nearby table, Pints of Beer and Scones.

A waitress who produced my bill, provided me with a box for all the cake I could not eat. She was much better than the waiter and had the skills required to serve guests.