Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Oakham Town Council Audit?

The Following e-mail has been sent to the Governments Audit Commission requesting a full audit of Oakham Town Council


Councillor Martin Brookes
13 Willow Crescent
Oakham
Rutland
LE15 6EQ

Dear Sir/Madam
I was elected as a town Councillor to serve the people of Oakham Rutland.
I have serious concerns relating to the operations of Oakham Town Council.
I request the Audit Commission carry out a full investigation into the running of the town council.
I list a few of concerns below.
I have been subjected to Harassment, constant interference and intimidation that violates my dignity, this has created a hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment. This has been homophobic.
I have raised this complaint with the local standards committee, It is my opinion this committee is not impartial. Because they adjourned to sweep this under the carpet, sorry I mean to suggest mediation. Mediation is not acceptable when you basic rights and laws have been broken by others.
I have also reported two members to Leicestershire Police.
At my first meeting, I was asked not to comment on a matter on the agenda by the deputy chairman Sharon Spencer.
I had concerns regarding the award of a £30,000 contract. The contract had only two tenders invited by the Town Clerk both almost the same and one not itemised.
After this I received an e-mail from a member of the public, I have shared this with The Town Clerk.
He is very angry and on three times he has demanded I give him the details of the sender. (Once in his words I am asking nicely)
It is clear the author of the email knows the town clerk, the town clerks over reaction suggests to me he has something to hide.
The town clerk often shouts at me insists the Town Council is like a football club and I should do as he says.
He now tells me I am his employer and says I am bullying him.
I am locked out of the office. A lock has been fitted to an internal door from the chamber.
It is common practice for other councillor to sit in the office on their own for many hours if the town clerk is absent.
It is my belief the Town Council is run solely as a club for the chairman, deputy and the town clerk and others.
The chairman has missed many meeting this year and not attended any since my election due to ill health.
Although the Town Clerk says she is mentally fit to make decision relate to council business over the phone.
I question this and he tells me as long as a member apologises for not attending the six month count restarts. So he is say you can be a councillor never attend a meeting as long as you send apologies that is fine you can remain a councillor.
I was forced to hold my surgery in the street this weekend and the public told me they liked the idea the council should serve them.
At the last meeting the Town Clerk reported a change of internal auditor because the council had become too close.
The Town Council is not accountable to the public it serves.
It does not have a strategic plan or continuity plan. It just seems to spend, spend!
I have asked Rutland County Council to let me know how many voters are required to call an election to abolish the council, after members of the public ask me to raise a petition. To date I have received no reply.
Yours sincerely
Cllr Martin Brookes