Thursday, November 04, 2010

Oakham Town Council meeting 3rd November 2010

Once again Cllr Swiffin could not afford his taxi fare to attend the meeting and Cllrs accepted his absence as sickness.

Cllr Alf Dewis spoke about his activities, he said Rutland County Councillor Peter Jones had told him local traders had no concerns about the cost of parking in Oakham, Cllr Dewis did not agree with this.

He also reported much of the time table for events leading to the closure of RAF Cottesmore had been brought forward.

Cllr Dewis also reported on The police JAG meeting. He said police were investigating a verbal abuse case another Cllr had been subjected to one Saturday.

It made me think of the Saturday I was in town and passed Cllr Lucas and overheard her talking to ex Melton Cllr Tim Cullen about me. I turned and asked her to stop. Tim told me I should expect this sort of behaviour from a councillor in such a small town. (after the meeting I visited Oakham police station and they spent time checking their system and said they were not investigating any incident regarding the verbal abuse of a Cllr)

Through out the meeting it is becoming clear some members of the council  are attempting to be proactive and listen to people.