Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cllr Peter Jones and The Olive Branch Ballot Box Puzzle

When I read the poll notice for Greetham, I was concerned to read a ballot box would be placed in the Olive Branch in Clipsham. 

I was concerned because many people have told me Conservative Councillor Peter Jone's family own the pub, mainly his son Ben Jones.

I wrote to the returning officer about this:
 
Rutland County Council
Returning Officer


I am concerned that a ballot box will be sited at the Olive Branch Clipsham.

Most people know this pub is owned by Conservative Councillor Peter Jones Family.

I am very unhappy with the use of this location as I understand my opponent Conservative  Cllr Roger Begy is understood to be a frequent customer at this pub.

As it stands it is planned the count will not take place until Friday, the day after the Election, can RCC explain what security measures have been put into place to protect the ballot boxes over night.

from

Martin Brookes



Cllr Jones then sent me this email:

Mr Brookes
                                       CORRECTION 
 My family DO NOT own or control The Olive Branch at Clipsham  ,one of my sons who works there has a Minority shareholding . Another example of incorrect unchecked statements .
  P. Jones

Sent from my iPad
 
So I decided to do some research on the net and come up with the following and sent it to Cllr Jones.
 
The internet often refers to Ben as the owner this is an extract from the Daily Telegraph

By 1999, when Sean (the chef), Ben and Mark bought it, the Olive Branch had been closed for two years. Its new owners couldn't have been more suitable: old friends who had worked together at the nearby luxury hotel, Hambleton Hall, and who wanted to revive it for modern times.


Also the Licensee name is 
Ben Jones 
This suggest to me Ben Jones role is greater than Councillor Peter Jones, would like to let on.
 
Cllr Jones then sent me the following reply:

Exactly you have proved your original statement false 3 partners the Olive Branch is NOT  owned by my family  

Sent from my iPad


Is his son not his family? I am puzzled....

When I sent Cllr Jones the details of his sons ownership he sent me the following message.

You continue to dig a deeper and deeper hole for yourself ,your original statement said" this pub is owned by Conservative Councillor Peter Jones family" your 2 later statements prove conclusively this is incorrect ,why should you consider this a slur on your character ,I am merely pointing out you have issued an incorrect statement  P Jones

Sent from my iPad

Anyway from that I am assuming Cllr Jones is correct his family as a whole don't own the company. Its just his son Ben Jones.


I still don't think the ballot box should be located in the pub because of the connection however big or small that may or may not be.




Rutland Inn Company Limited 03845255

Status: Active
Date of Incorporation: 21/09/1999

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
5530 - Restaurants
Accounting Reference Date: 31/03
Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/03/2010  (TOTAL EXEMPTION SMALL)
Next Accounts Due: 31/12/2011
Last Return Made Up To: 21/09/2010
Next Return Due: 19/10/2011
Last Members List: 21/09/2010

Director Details

Name:Mr Ben Mayo Jones
Date of Birth:1978/07
Postcode:LE12 5NB
Nationality:Unknown
Current Appointments:1