Friday, March 26, 2010

Oakham Town Council

I have served as a Town Councillor for a month.

During this time I have learnt, I must abide by the town council rules.

This has been clearly dictated to me.

"Oakham Town Council is like a football club!" was shouted at me "and as such it has rules and to be a member of that club you abide by the rules a set out by members."

Even if that rule is illegal or discriminates?

These rules don't seem apply to members of the public.

I have witnessed one member of the public, who address's meetings as he feels fit.

Many times he often speaks about matters not on the agenda at the point of public deputations.

The Town clerk address's him using his first name, The same member of the public address's the town clerk in the same manner.

This member of the public complained when a member of the public passed a fellow councillor a note during a meeting.

The Clerk and deputy Chairman have now created a new rule if the public hand a council member a note during a meeting. The note will be read by the chairperson and the member of the public and the councillor will be asked to leave subject to the other members voting to do so.

God forbid a note does not contain a personal private family message.

I am told notes are often passed in courts and Parliament.

I approached the town Clerk to express my concern about this new rule which has been added to the rule book despite no members debate.

He told me to do as I am told, British law does not govern what happens in the council chamber. I felt a little like a naughty school boy.

The Town Clerk commands respect from members surely a Town Councillor can also expect the same in return.

A note from a member of the public could be seen as corrupting a council member?

Is it not the role of a council member to listen to what the public want and serve the public?

If the member of the public does pass a unsuitable note it can be disregarded and the councillor
could make it public if they felt it would effect their ability to make a lawful decision.


Oakham Town Council is not a CLUB.

The dress code rule will be removed from the rule book because it discriminated.

I enjoyed a ward walk with my fellow councillor last Saturday.

Martin Brookes